Thursday, June 18, 2009

There are good people and bad people... in life and in Poker

Yesterday, when I was busted out in the middle round of the Metro 500 Tournament (guaranteed PhP25,000.00 pot freeze-out) in Metrowalk Ortigas and was about to fetch my wife in Makati, 2 people with the age around 30 - 45 are shouting at each other on a regular cash game table. The reason? I actually don't know but it made me curious to observe (by this I mean maki-chismis) and stayed for a while and I could possibly learn a thing or two (in Mixed Martial Arts perhaps).

As I've said, playing Poker is pretty much like living life. I actually believe that it's one of the games that exactly replicate life in general. In life, we experience joy, sorrow, excitement, upset, anger, victory, defeat, etc. and the same is true with Poker as evident by the above 2 not-so-gentlemen. In Poker, you'll be able to see most of the time the true color of a person or it may teach a person how to become more sensitive with others or it could also change a person from better to worse. It depends. There are Dirty Old Men (DOM) lurking around the club, humble celebrities, rich people, not-so rich people, humble normal citizens, boastful normal citizens, etc. There are generally good people... There are generally bad people... Just like there are good cops and bad cops, good reporters and bad reporters, good politicians and bad politicians, good actors and bad actors, good doctors and bad doctors, good Filipino citizens and bad Filipino citizens and others so on that note... There are good Poker Players and bad Poker Players as well. By good and bad, I mean attitude.

I remember hearing one of the two saying something like, "Pare, Poker lang to. Mind game. Nagsorry na nga ako sayo eh. Pero kung gusto mo pwede din tayo sa labas. Call (which is a Poker term) din ako diyan. Hindi bluff!", this definitely made my day yesterday even if I lost. It reiterated my knowledge on how to professionally deal with others as sometimes my emotions control me. I don't know what happened prior to it but there are certain Poker Etiquette as there is in everything that all amateur, novice and especially seasoned Poker Players. You can check out the link of Poker Etiquette at my side bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment