Thursday, June 18, 2009

My biggest Poker influence: Phil Gordon

Probably the person with the biggest influence in my passion for Texas Holdem Poker is Phil Gordon who used to be one of the hosts in a TV show entitled, "Celebrity Poker" with Dave Foley (if I'm not mistaken) where I first saw him. As a matter of fact, it was only days ago when I tried searching the internet for some of his videos "in action" and not as a host.

When I first heard Phil Gordon talk about statistics and probability and the percentages on the starting hands, relation of the flop; turn; river to your hole cards - I found him very intelligent that's why my interest in Poker went sky-rocketing high. But as I've said in my previous post, I've only started playing "organized Poker" a month ago because I wasn't able to see Poker Clubs years ago here in the Philippines not until now after my wife and I saw a Poker Club advertisement when we watched a very disappointing (for us) David Archuleta and David Cook Concert in SM Mall of Asia Concert Grounds.

So Phil Gordon has the highest influence on me in Poker... and I bet I'll be learning more from him from his personal website (which I already posted on my sidebar) and other stuffs I may read or find about him on the Internet. As a matter of fact, I read his interview with THP and was relieved to find out that I'm not a rare case (though I know this already I just needed a confirmation) in experience a losing streak as evident in my posted statistics in my early Poker journey. Actually, according to the interview, it took him 3 years after taking Poker seriously to win consistently on a middle-limit Poker and I intend to jumpstart my Poker journey by being more serious in learning more about the game and win consistently as soon as possible. I currently play at a PhP10.00-PhP20.00 Blinds No-Limit Holdem being the cheapest way to play Poker that I know of here in the Philippines (aside of course from tournaments and home games).

I hope in a few months or years from now, I'll be able to play against Phil Gordon who may not be the best Poker Player in the world to some but definitely my biggest influence in playing the game seriously for fun and for money. Thanks Phil and see you on the final table one of these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment