Monday, June 22, 2009

Being emotional in Poker and in life in general

I went on tilt after a competitor bluffed me on a given hand with PhP3,500.00 bet worth of chips on the river card (last card dealt by dealer) that resulted to me folding my 2 pairs last Friday at "The Metro Card Club" in the PhP1,000.00 buy-in tournament. And to my surprise when he showed his hand (which is his option as a classic strategy to make your competitor tilt or become steamy or become hot and be defocused which happened to me), he has nothing!

When a Poker Player is on tilt, he normally does a lot of stupid things on his game and I'm no exemption. Poker is a game where when you get emotional, you'll most likely lose. After my competitor bluffed me, I got so careless that I went all-in (bets all of my chips) with my 8 of clubs and 5 of clubs after the flop which has 2 clubs and diamond hoping for a flush draw on the turn and river (which is a very stupid move) and after the player who made me tilt bets PhP1,000.00. Sure I was successful in making the player who made me tilt fold his hand but I wasn't able to see the obvious that another player may hold a "stronger" flush because I was on tilt. And I was right... He held a stronger club which is the strongest - Ace of Club and this guy called my all-in bet and I guess you know what happened next even if clubs appear or not on the fourth and fifth card...

Being emotional in Poker is very costly as well as in life as well... How many times have we seen drivers get killed in driving because of being emotional? We have seen in news reports drivers being killed by other drivers just because of a simple road misunderstanding... In Poker, a lot of people lose not because they are bad Poker Players or luck was not on their side but because they get emotional that they do stupid things on the table which cost them to lose the game.

This is a lesson that I should master and so should you in life, in Poker and in any endeavors we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment